Sunday, February 2, 2014

15 Technologies That Were Supposed to Change Education

I spend most of my time looking at current technology and trying to think ahead to how we can change our classroom.  I just read an article about 15 technologies that were supposed to change education.  Interesting.

I think some of these have had an influence - just not to the extent the original writers thought they would.

#3 -- Social Studies teachers still use film to show some of the history they are teaching.
#5 and #15 - Look a lot like Skype, Video Conference or other other line education options.

I think we may actually be on verge of seeing some of this finally come true.

Although some fear technology taking over education - I still see a hard-working teacher behind any of these.  I don't see the teacher being replaced.  Students still need mentors, guides, and educators.

When I was in college, I worked as part of a crew to film some of our professors giving lectures.  These video tapes would be sent to students that were doing "distance learning".  Maybe they were student teaching away from campus, but needed to finish a history course - they could get these video tapes in the mail, watch them, read their text, take notes, etc as if they were on campus.  Then take the mid-term and final and complete the course.  Some of these tapes were also sent out to high schools to be used in advanced history classes.

I remember when I did my student teaching - some predictions that we made about what education might look like in the future.  Some have already come true.  With where technology is going - we are on the verge of finally being able to do some of the predictions.

Enjoy the read.

Still learnin' and lovin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment