Friday, October 5, 2012

Podcasts & Vodcasts - Did I miss that episode?

Do you have a favorite TV show or Radio show that you like to watch or listen to?  Does it frustrate you when your schedule doesn't fit when that show is on?  Wouldn't it be nice to subscribe to that show and then when a new show is released, it is recorded for you and you can watch it when you want?  This is the concept of a Podcast or a Vodcast.

A Definition

According to Wikipedia, "a podcast (or netcast) is a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically  and often downloaded through web syndication.  ..."

Further Explanation

Let me give you an example of a podcast I subscribe to.  I will give some background and explanation along the way.

I was driving in my truck one night when I came across a great radio show  (I never thought I would listen to people talk on the radio - it is supposed to be for music - only old people listen to talk radio....).  Unfortunately, because of our family's busy schedule, I never had time to listen to the whole show.  I would either miss the first part or the last part.  I decided to look up the radio show online.  I found a website where I could download mp3's of their radio shows (this in and of itself does not make it a podcast).  This radio show was a weekly radio show (see definition...  "released episodically").  I noticed on the website that I could subscribe to this  (here is where the podcast part comes in...)
  • So, we now have a series of digital media files (mp3's of the weekly shows)
  • It is released episodically (every week - at least while the show was active)
  • and it is downloaded through web syndication (say what???)
Let me explain briefly "web syndication".  When I subscribed to the radio show - I did this through something called RSS (Really Simple Syndication).  This syndication then communicated with my podcatcher (I use Apple iTunes, but there are others).  The podcatcher then searches for and automatically downloads any new files that fit that category (my radio show I subscribed to).  Once these files are downloaded to my computer, I can put them on my personal device, take them with me, and listen to them when I want or have time (or listen to them directly on my computer if I wish).

When do Teachers use Podcasts?

In my search for podcasts - I have found podcast for preschool age students through graduate level.  Many teachers are even having students create podcasts to show understanding of material, present research, and express points of view.  Some teachers will assign freely available casts, some will have students create casts, and other will create their own.  

Podcasts use can be put into 4 categories

  • "Teaching Driven" -- Allows educators to provide a lecture or summary of material and also to provide other timely academic material.
  • "Service Driven" -- The opportunity to provide detailed information to families and others  about policies, events, or activities.
  • "Marketing Tools" -- To promote the school and community to potential students or provide a virtual tour of the facilities.
  • "Technology Driven" --  To be used to assist with instruction about podcasts.

Places to Start Looking

  • Scientific American -- Click on the Multimedia drop down menu and you will see various 60-second podcasts.  (Science, Mind, Earth, Space, Health, Tech).  Once you select one you might want to try - click on the RSS or ITunes link to subscribe.  Or you can listen to the shows directly.
  • Book Wink -- Video book talks on books from Grade 3 through 8.  You can select category and/or grade level.  
  • Story Nory -- Podcasts of familiar stories from around the world.  They post a new story each week. The stories come with full English test for beginning readers or ELL.  Once on the home page - see the Follow box to subscribe.
  • Inkless Tales -- provides retelling of familiar stories often with a twist.  For example, in the Princess and the Pea, the princess is usually quite passive.  In the retelling - she is filled with spirit and is active.
  • Blazing Guns and Rugged Hearts -- Includes stories of Kansas History.  A great way to prepare for a visit to the area (other Historical Societies have similar podcasts).  
  • Civil War Podcasts -- Take a tour through historic Civil War Sites.  

Uses in the Classroom

If you see my other blog post on Flipped Classroom - there is an explanation of how to implement podcasts into your classroom in a meaningful way.  But why do teachers want to have students create podcasts?  Research has shown that active writing, with an authentic audience, makes learners more committed to the activity  (Dalton & Proctor, 2008).  Students have to plan, write, edit, rehearse, record and post their own podcasts.  Students can even use their smart phones to create their podcasts.  (this may require schools and districts rethinking policies about technology in the classroom.)

Professional Development

Teachers are always looking to improve themselves in two ways.  Personally and Professionally.  Podcasts can come in useful in both areas.  You can find podcasts that will help you grow and learn.

  • The Teacher's Podcastis a site that will help you find much information.  This information can range from how to get started with podcasting, to latest news in the educational field, as well as many other education topics.  
  • iTunes -- Go to the iTunes store - click on the Podcast link - and then either look through the available podcasts or search for a topic. These could be for professional use or personal development.   You can also go to the iTunesU link on iTunes.  You can find college lectures and other educational topics.

To Get Started

There are some great resources on the web to help you get started:
How to Create your own podcast -- it will walk you through the steps regardless of the type of computer or software you are using.
Poducate Me -- a great resource in all areas of podcasting.


I'm Still Learning....

1 comment:

  1. Informative, and you made it easy to understand. Indeed a very powerful tool. One of my favorite podcasting tools is "Yodio". All is takes is a CELL PHONE, a free account, a free number, and upon completing a call the Podcast is completed. Awesome way to annotate and tell the story behind a Powerpoint, or reflection on a discussion, etc.

    ReplyDelete